Survey: Church Planter Characteristics
Survey: Characteristics of a Church Planter
By Pastor Scott Thomas
Acts 29 Director
Executive Elder, Mars Hill Church in Seattle
I am researching essential characteristics of a church planter (elder qualified is assumed). What do you think are the top qualities of a church planter (not just a pastor)?
I asked people on Facebook and Twitter to respond to the question above. These are the comments they made after consolidating concepts. Do you have any more ideas? If so, and I will post the results and give you an opportunity to vote. Once I get the voting results, I will post them for you to see what others think are the key characteristics of a church planter.
- Clearly called to plant a church
- Recommended by others to plant a church
- Visionary leader; track record of drawing people to the vision; the ability to win others over; Woo (in the Strengths Finder sense); must demonstrate an ability to attract people to a cause
- Team builder; aware of own weaknesses and always looking for others to join the team who can make up the gaps; Good at networking/relational
- Balanced - physical health, martial health, intellectual health, emotional health (have people they share deep stuff with)
- Have a Jesus worldview that sees all of life on God's terms
- Love people; lover of Strangers (the Greek word for Hospitality); love others well in crucial conversations
- Be at peace with delayed gratification from labors
- Missional and Evangelistic; possess a clear call to introduce people to Jesus, not merely to plant an unrepresented type of church in their community; cultural awareness
- Must have a dynamic devotional life; praying machine
- Must be a servant leader at home
- Must be able to preach and communicate clearly and inspirationally
- Desire and passion
- Doctrinal competence
- Filled with grace
- Perseverance; not easily discouraged; thick skinned; able to deal with disappointment; sticktoitiveness
- Entrepreneurial; fearless & adventurous; creative; slightly crazy
- Financially accountable
- Able to be a jack-of-all-trades for a while
- Disciplined; hardworking; Self-starter
- Contagious Leader
- Great faith
with your ideas. You can also comment below.
Thanks for your help.