Posted in: Preaching
Preaching the Mission - Exegesis & Application
Preaching the Mission: Click to View Series
In 2007, Darrin Patrick (Lead Pastor - The Journey) spoke at the Seattle Boot Camp on "Preaching the Mission." Here is an excerpt from his talk where he explains the steps of sermon preparation that are to follow meditation - exegesis and application.
Questions preachers should ask themselves during these stages of sermon preparation are:
Exegesis – Discerning the meaning of the text
- What does the text say?
- How did the original audience here this text?
- What does this mean for me?
- What does this mean for the church?
Application – Bringing the text to real life
- What connection is there between original audience and my audience?
- What sin keeps us from doing the text?
- What principles can I extract from the text that will speak to my audience?
- How is Jesus the hero?
You can hear the full version of Darrin Patrick's Preaching the Misson here.