4000 saved and 133 new churches - reflections on 2010
The Acts 29 Network was founded 11 years ago. In our first six years, we grew to team of 71 churches. We saw an explosion of growth over the last five years, adding 300 new churches, with hundreds more planters applying.
2010 was Acts 29’s biggest year yet – adding 133 churches to grow our network by 56%. We are thankful for all the growth we’ve seen, with thousands of people meeting Jesus and getting baptized in the United States and beyond in just this past year.
Join us in thanking God for the work he’s done in our network.
In this photo are 13 Houston-area Acts 29 planters that gathered in December to celebrate a year of brotherhood in church planting. Just 2 years ago, there were only 3 Acts 29 Pastors in Houston.
- 392 current Acts 29 churches
- 133 new Acts 29 churches added in 2010
- 480 current applicants
- 100,000 people worshiping on a Sunday at an A29 church
- 3,500 people baptized
- 4,000 new believers
- 22 different denominations represented
- 500,000 visits to our website in 2010
Other facts: Our churches are urban (55%), suburban (38%), rural (5%) and inner city (5%). Additionally, sixty-four percent of our churches have congregations of 200 people or less; six churches have more than 2000 in attendance.
- Four U.S. church planting boot camps in Raleigh, Denver, Seattle and Phoenix
- Four international church planting boot camps: Northern Ireland, London, Brazil and Australia
- One all-member retreat, where we hosted all our planters and their wives with 3 days of rest and refreshment in fellowship with one another. For several of our planters, this is their only vacation in the entire year.
- Church Planter, by Acts 29 Vice President Darrin Patrick, defines our network’s vision for the man who plants the church, his message and his mission.
- Doctrine, by Acts 29 Lead Visionary and Co-Founder Mark Driscoll and Dr. Gerry Breshears, is a meaty yet readable overview of basic Christian doctrine.
- Gospel Coach, created by Acts 29 President, Scott Thomas, is a ground-breaking, comprehensive tool (book, web-tool and certified coaching system) that helps bring transformation to a church, her people, and her community..
- Gospel Centered Life, by Acts 29 planter, Bob Thune, is a tremendously helpful small group study designed to help people see how the gospel impacts every aspect of their lives.
- Theological Clarity, by Scott Thomas, is a practical workbook to accompany Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know, by Wayne and Elliot Grudem. It is available as a free download.
- Many other publications from Acts 29 planters and leaders can be found here.
- The Acts 29 Board has seven members: Mark Driscoll (Lead Visionary), Scott Thomas (President), Darrin Patrick (First Vice President), Jeff Vanderstelt (Second Vice President), Chan Kilgore (Secretary/Treasurer), Matt Chandler and Eric Mason.
- The following Regional Directors were appointed in 2010 to lead a smaller network of church planters in a specific area: Justin Anderson (Phoenix Region), Harvey Turner (Northern California-Nevada), and Rick White (South Central Region, under Matt Chandler).
- Elliot Grudem joined the Acts 29 staff this summer as Network Coordinator, after having replanted Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, NC.
- The Acts 29 staff has grown to help carry the administrative load of a booming network: Scott Thomas (President), Elliot Grudem (Network Coordinator), Tyler Powell (Planting Strategist), Donald Johns (Asst. to Scott Thomas), Sara Britt (Asst. to Tyler Powell), Derrin Thomas (Asst. to Tyler Powell), Josh Opp (Asst. to Elliot Grudem) and Adriel Ifland (Managing Editor).
It’s been a busy year, and with God’s help, we look forward to 2011 being another year of great growth—seeing more people meet Jesus, as new churches are planted all across the globe.